If you don't know where you'r going, any map will do.
The objective enterprise charts its course on roadmaps that allow all involved to see business objectives in terms of positive changes in value brought to customers, external stakeholders, the company and its employees. Business objectives are not limited by economic factors but include social and environmental impacts. This is sometimes referred to as the triple bottom line.
With objectives in sight the assets that must be acquired or modified can be identified along with new or existing initiatives that will deliver those assets.
Much that is beyond the control of the company can nonetheless affect desired outcomes. Assumptions show where the achievement of deisred outcomes may be affected by external factors. Various scenarios can be painted so that alternative courses of action may be considered.
Understanding how these new assets fit into the existing corporation is the job of the blueprint. The assets identified in the roadmap form the link to the blueprint, ensuring
The blueprint in turn helps to provide context for the changes, showing impacts on associated assets
model of a roadmap
elements of the roadmap
- a desired result, expressed as an absolute value or change in value; cannot be acted upon directly, but is a by product of action taken
- anything owned by a company that has value; projects usually act on a collection, or configuration, of assets
- a product or action, external and beyond the control of the company, that has a direct bearing on the company's ability to deliver an asset or meet an objective and deliver value
- a portrayal of a series of outcomes used develop altnerative courses of action
- strategy / solution concept
- an idea for an action or a solution that guides and potentially constrains the design of a new asset
- the measure by which current or future value will be determined
- a series of actions or activities that deliver a product, that is, an asset or change in asset; consume the resources of company and always have a cost associated with them
- integration project
- one or more projects that deliver a complemte business solution to the company, affecting a particular configuraion of assets and delivering measurable value